Wednesday, January 30, 2013

Non Chemical All Purpose Cleaner

so I ran across this recipe (if you want to call it that) just at the right time.

You know--when you actually have the ingredients handy. We had gotten a bag of navel oranges from my mom, so as we ate them (they were yummy) we put the peels in a quart sized widemouthed jar.

When its full, cover them with plain white vinegar.

 Let them sit.  Directions said 2-3 weeks. I admit, I stopped at a week, as I was already dabbing in and using it with success. I had 3 quart jars, and you should turn them at least once a day. (I did 2 or 3 times a day.)  The vinegar pulls the orange oil from the skins.  To be honest, you couldn't even really smell the vinegar after the second day.
 Strained the liquid using a double layer of butter cloth. (cheese cloth used for cheese. Much finer weave. You could use regular cheesecloth, but I'd use 4-6 layers of it.)
This is what it looks like when done. (this is a half gallon jar).  I have read that some people 50/50 this with distilled water and put in a spray bottle.  I might do this for my cabinets. But I'd still want to have access to it at full strength to clean things like my stove. (look below)

No comments:

Post a Comment