Thursday, August 2, 2012

Went for a bike ride on the shore the other day with some friends.  Passed by some absolutely gorgeous looking rose hips that I simply couldn't pass by.
We needed a break anyway, so I talked them into helping me pick the ripe ones.  Brought them home (about a quart worth), cut the ragged tops off, and put them in a pot with enough water to cover them. Set them to boil, and then mashed them.  In the meantime, I'm looking at a number of different recipes for jelly, and didn't really like any of them.  All called for lemon juice though, and I thought, I have a whole batch of lemongrass growing in the garden, I better that would taste really good together, so I popped 2-3 stalks into the water with the rosehips.

The following is what I came up with, as I knew I needed a sliding scale recipe.

1c. rosehip-lemongrass water
1c. sugar
2 tbs. pectin (surejell, not liquid)
2tbs. lemon juice

I used this recipe as its base:
http://www.simplyrecipes.com/recipes/rose_hip_jelly_and_jam/#  Her directions are excellent and include pictures. (Didn't have my camera with me that day!)

With 4 cups of juice, I was able to make 7 jelly jars (quilted cup size).


No comments:

Post a Comment